Box.net recently offered a generous 50GB of free storage if you download their mobile app. With that kind of storage you can store a lot of pictures, movies and documents. There is one big problem with Box.net, and that problem is the fact that they do not offer a free desktop app to sync your files like dropbox does. They only offer a desktop app for their business accounts which has a monthly fee.
If you dont feel like paying for Box.net’s business account then there is another way of copying files from your computer directly into your Box.net account (without using a web browser). On Windows you can create a folder that points to your Box.net account and on OS X you can create a mount that does the same.
1. Click the Start button
2. Then right click on My Computer or “Computer”
3. On the menu that pops up click on “Map network drive”
4. Click on the text that says “Connect to a website that you can use to store your documents and pictures”
5. Keep clicking next on the windows until you reach one that asks you to enter “Internet or Network Address”
6. Type “https://www.box.net/dav” and click next
7. When prompted type your box.net username and password and click ok
8. A new folder will appear in explorer.
Mac OSX instructions
1. In the Mac finder click on Go
2. Click on connect to Server
3. Type https://www.box.net/dav
4. When prompted type your box.net username and password
Now a new mount will appear.